A Day of Mindfulness – Overview
The Online Live MBSR All-day Retreat is a 6-hour day of mindfulness practice, guided by your instructor. We’ll do our familiar guided meditations, have periods of silent practice, and more. There will be sitting, moving, and lying down. Bring your water and tea. We’ll have a mindful lunch. We’ll have a rest period. Bring your journal and writing instrument. We’ll have a bit of conversation, but mostly, we’ll be in silence. You’ll have the chance to share your retreat insights and experiences in your next regular class meeting.
All Participants: Complete the following All-Day Retreat Tasks #1, #2, #3 & #4 before the Saturday Retreat:
- All-Day Retreat Task #1—Read: Gathering in the Online Live Retreat Hall
- All-Day Retreat Task #2—Read: Setting up Your Personal Retreat Hall
- All-Day Retreat Task #3—Read: What to Bring to Retreat
- All-Day Retreat Task #4—Print: Online Retreat Schedule
All-Day Retreat Task #1
Gathering in the Online Live Retreat Hall
For the duration of retreat, please silence or turn off your cell phone—unless needed for health reasons, or for example, if you’re an emergency contact that day. Remove your watch, and refrain from reading and writing unless directed to write in your journal. We’re wanting to simplify—to let go of our usual concerns that may prevent us from being present.
Entering and Leaving
- You’ll need to register early for the All-day Retreat (no fee) to get your Zoom link for the day.
- Registration closes at 7pm the night before, so be sure to sign up before then.
- The Online Retreat Hall will be open from 9AM onwards—you may sign in any time between 9AM and 9:30AM with your video either on or off. The Zoom Host’s (your instructor’s) video will remain off until the start of retreat.
- You’ll enter our Online Retreat Hall in silence (muted by the Host) as if in a real-world retreat hall.
- The All-day Retreat begins promptly at 9:30AM.
- Participants will remain muted by the Zoom Host (your instructor) throughout the retreat day, with a few exceptions when we have Q&A or discussion.
- The All-day Retreat ends promptly at 3:30PM.
- The Online Retreat Hall will remain open until 3:45PM so you can say goodbye to classmates if you wish. You can leave any time after 3:30PM.
- Please observe our usual Zoom protocol throughout the day.
All-Day Retreat Task #2
Setting Up Your Personal Retreat Hall
Make arrangements to be undisturbed for the duration of retreat. Set aside your usual tasks and concerns, as much as possible.
- Set up your at-home space—your personal “retreat hall”—following the guidelines for a regular class. Be ready for Sitting Meditation, Yoga, Body Scan, and Walking Meditation.
- Set up the lighting for your own comfort and enjoyment.
- Set up your computer so you’re visible from the front while seated.
- It’s ok if you’re not completely visible when lying down or moving about.
- Leave your video on for the whole day unless directed otherwise.
- Optional: You might enjoy a small focal point in your at-home retreat space so you can see something that inspires your day—flowers, a candle, a beautiful or inspiring photo or object, an artwork, artifact…whatever moves you!
All-Day Retreat Task #3
What to Bring to Retreat
- Your printed Online Retreat Schedule
- Hydration (water bottle, etc.)
- Hot drink (tea, etc.), if you wish
- Snacks, on hand if needed
- Medicines, on hand if needed
- Your lunch, prepared, so it’s ready to be eaten at mealtime
- Yoga mat, camping mat, or thick blanket for work on the floor
- Meditation cushions or benches if you like floor sitting
- Light blanket or warm layers in case the body gets chilly
- Anything else you need to be supported and comfortable while sitting and lying down—additional cushions, blankets, rolled towels, ice packs
- Dress in loose, comfortable clothing
- Journal and writing instrument
- (You won’t need the Workbook on retreat)
All-Day Retreat Task #4
Online Live Retreat Schedule
Print this schedule and post it somewhere in your at-home “retreat hall.”
- 9:00AM: The Online Retreat Hall opens
- 9:30AM: Opening Bell
- 9:30AM: Opening Ritual and Greetings
- 9:45AM-12:00PM: Guided and Silent Practices (2.25 hours)
- 12:00PM-1:00PM: Mindful Lunch and Rest Period (1 hour)
- 1:00-3:15PM: Guided and Silent Practices (2.25 hours)
- 3:15PM: Closing Ritual and Goodbye
- 3:30PM: Closing Bell
- 3:30PM: Host will unmute you for goodbyes with classmates
- 3:45PM: The Online Retreat Hall closes